Gardening Tips for Winter
Here are some tips to keep your garden in good health during the winter months...
- Prune roses at any time from now until early Spring
- Rake lawns to remove dead grass and fallen leaves.
- After a frost, try to stay off the grass as treading on the lawn in these conditions can damage the grass.
- Brush up the rest of the leaves and add to your compost heap.
- Remove leaves from rock gardens. If left, they retain moisture around plants and encourage stems and leaves to decay.
- Put out feeders for birds, not forgetting fresh water. Encouraging birds into the garden will help reduce the number of insects and slugs.
- Keep checking the weather forecast! Cover tender shrubs which are likely to be damaged by frost with garden fleece, sacking or an old light blanket.
- Continue pruning your fruit trees through December and January.
- Seeds to sow in January include Snapdragons, Alyssum, Lobelia and Daisies.
Submitted by Phil on Friday 3rd December 2010